Thursday 18 June 2020

Scrap Busting!

Hey!

So yesterday I said I had some fun things on the way using up scraps. Today I'd like to share the first one with you! It also involves some weaving - my new favourite technique. 

This one uses up scraps from the brights collection so its incredibly bright and vibrant and super fun!


Stamp Set: Peaceful Moments
Ink: Bermuda Bay
Cardstock: Whisper White, Melon Mambo, Flirty Flamingo, Granny Apple Green, Bermuda Bay, Mango Melody, Coastal Cabana, Daffodil Delight, Gorgeous Grape
Punch: Story Label
Accessories: Brights Candy Dots (retired)

In sorting out my scraps I found lots of thin strips of card that I thought I could use for something but they gradually accumulate and I don't use them as much as I should, its always so much quicker and easier to cut up a new piece than wade through the scrap box for something that will fit. So, I used a few of these scraps as is, and some I cut much thinner so that I had different widths ranging from about 5mm up to 3cm. 

Once I had a bunch cut up I began to weave. Getting the first couple vertical and horizontal ones in place is the most difficult. After those are in place, the tension created is substantial enough to keep the strips in place as they were woven in. When I was happy with the placement - trying to vary the colours and strip widths so that it looked pretty random - I added tombow to the back of the strips and glued it down to a piece of Whisper White. I then went around all the edges gluing all the ends of the strips down. 

I matted it on some Bermuda Bay card and added it to a white card base. I thought a simple white label punch would be best for the sentiment - to try and act as a balance to the vibrant colours. I stamped in Bermuda Bay because I thought it would tie together the matting, weaving and sentiment layers quite nicely - I think that bit of consistency really works. What do you think?  

In the spirit of using up scraps, I found some candy dots that have been retired a long while but haven't got used up yet, so I popped a few around the sentiment just to add a little more colour to the sentiment layer. 


I hope you've enjoyed this scrap buster! I'm for sure going to be making more of these and I have some other scrap busting ideas up my sleeve to show you over the coming days. Stay tuned. 

Take care, 


No comments:

Post a Comment